Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Cajun Andouille and Chicken Alfredo Sauce over Pasta

Print

IMG_4258

One of my favorite entrees at a certain restaurant chain is Cajun Chicken Pasta. When my husband and I were dating in college, I would make him take me there almost once a week so I could have it! I have tried a few variations of Cajun pasta, so far none have tasted like the restaurant version. This pasta dish originally called for shrimp, which I swapped for chicken. You can almost bet that if the recipe has andouille in it, my family will love it! Next time I make it, I think I will add some of the Cajun seasoning to the chicken before cooking. I tasted the sauce before adding everything together and it has the perfect kick to it. Once the sauce mixed in with pasta, chicken, andouille, and everything else, it lost a little bit of the spice. The end result was still delicious, but with my family, if the dish says Cajun it had better be spicy!!

Cajun Andouille and Chicken Alfredo Sauce Pasta

Printer Friendly Version

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken cut into medium-size pieces

1 (12 oz) package fettuccine

1/2 pound Andouille sausage, chopped

1/2 cup butter

1 medium onion, chopped

1 small green bell pepper, chopped

4 garlic cloves, minced

1 1/2 tablespoons salt-free Cajun seasoning

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

2 cups chicken broth

1 1/2 cups heavy cream

6 oz parmesan cheese, shredded, plus more for tasting (Original recipe calls for pasteurized prepared cheese product)

3/4 cup chopped green onions

3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Prepare fettuccine according to package directions; drain pasta, and set aside.

Cook chicken and sausage in a large Dutch oven over medium heat 10 minutes or until browned; remove chicken and sausage, and drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in Dutch oven. Set sausage aside.

Melt butter in drippings in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and green bell pepper; cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat 10 minutes. Stir in Cajun seasoning and flour. Cook over medium heat, 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in chicken broth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Boil 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-low, and stir in heavy cream; cook over medium-low heat 8 minutes or until mixture simmers. Add parmesan cheese, sausage, and chicken, stirring until cheese melts.

Source adapted from: www.MyRecipes.com

One Year Ago Today: Almond Rice Pilaf

No comments: