Thursday, March 18, 2010

Sausage-Stuffed French Loaf

Print

IMG_2797

I am always on the lookout for quick and easy sandwiches that would make for a stress-free weeknight meal. After making this sandwich, I am a little upset with myself for not making it sooner. I have scanned by this recipe for several years, never giving it a second thought until last week when I saw it and thought to myself, why haven’t I made this before? My husband and I both loved the sandwich. All the ingredients work so well together, especially the Dijon mustard. The garlic butter added to the top was also a nice touch. I can’t wait to make this sandwich again!

Sausage-Stuffed French Loaf

Printer Friendly Version

1 (16 oz) loaf of French bread, unsliced

1/2 pound ground pork sausage

1/2 pound ground chuck

1 medium onion, chopped

2 cups (8 oz) mozzarella cheese, shredded

1 large egg, lightly beaten

1/4 cup parsley, chopped

2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

2 tablespoons butter

1 clove garlic, minced

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Cut off ends of French loaf. Hollow out loaf with a long serrated bread knife, leaving a 1/2 inch shell. Process bread removed from inside loaf in a food processor to make coarse crumbs.

Cook sausage, beef, and onion in a large skillet until meat is browned, stirring until it crumbles; drain. Stir in 1 cup breadcrumbs, cheese, and next 6 ingredients. Spoon into shell.

Melt butter in a saucepan. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Brush garlic butter over loaf. Wrap loaf in foil, leaving top open slightly, place on a baking sheet. Bake  for 25 minutes. Cut into 4 pieces.

Source adapted from: Southern Living Quick and Easy Weeknight Favorites, Oxmoor House, 2001

1 comment:

Heather said...

A good friend made this recipe for my family for dinner a couple of weeks ago. It is SO delicious! My kids could not get enough. I will definitely be giving it a regular spot in our dinner rotation! Thank you for sharing!!