Friday, August 20, 2010

Buttermilk Pancakes

Print

IMG_4044

So there has long been a battle between myself and my father-in-law between waffles and pancakes. He loves waffles, I love pancakes. We try to share Saturday morning breakfast together every week. Sometimes we fight over pancakes and waffles. My mother-in-law had to step in and designate an every other Saturday rule, so that we switch off between waffles and pancakes in an effort to make both of us happy. Since she does the breakfast cooking, I didn’t really have a go-to, from scratch recipe for pancakes. My brother recently asked me to find a pancake recipe for him…so I was on a mission! I knew right away I would want a recipe made with buttermilk (only the best) and it didn’t take long to find rave reviews with this particular recipe. The recipe makes a lot, which I didn’t mind. I like to cook all the pancake batter and freeze any leftovers for a quick breakfast solution when I’m running short of time. This recipe is a keeper for me!

Buttermilk Pancakes

Printer Friendly Version

2 eggs

2 cups flour

2 tablespoons sugar

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

2 cups buttermilk

4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled

½ teaspoons vanilla extract

oil or cooking spray (for cooking)

In a large bowl beat eggs. Add buttermilk, butter and vanilla and mix well. Add flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well until mostly smooth.

Heat griddle or pan over medium heat. Add a teaspoon of oil to the pan or spray with cooking spray. You can test to see if the pan is hot enough by adding a few drops of water, if or when the drops start to dance its hot enough.

Pour batter onto the griddle. Cook on the first side until bubbles that form start to pop. You can also gently lift up the pancake to make sure the bottom is not overcooking, if it is the pan may be too hot and you will need to adjust the heat. Flip the pancake over with a spatula and cook until golden brown. Repeat until all the batter is gone. Let cooked pancakes rest on a heat proof plate in a 200 degree F oven until ready to serve.

Source adapted from: Joy the Baker

No comments: