Friday, August 6, 2010

Banana Whoopie Pies

Print

IMG_4008

Have you noticed a theme here on my blog….I have been posting a lot of banana recipes lately. I guess we have been on banana overload, but that is okay with me! There are so many recipes to incorporate overripe bananas. Before you throw any away, consider freezing them for later use or bake something up. I love whoopie pies maybe even more than cupcakes. The cookies are soft, almost cake like with cream cheese frosting layered in between. I was really tempted to use a peanut butter frosting, but for the sake of my husband I used the cream cheese. The combination of banana and cream cheese reminded me of individual banana pudding (in a good way)! They were delicious. Next time, I think I will make half with the cream cheese and half with peanut butter so I can decide which is my favorite!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Banana Whoopie Pies

Printer Friendly Version

2 cups flour

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup mashed ripe banana

1/2 cup sour cream (or Greek yogurt)

4 oz. unsalted butter, softened

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed

1 large egg

1 teaspoon vanilla

8 oz cream cheese, softened

1 cup confectioners’ sugar, plus more for dusting

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.

Combine banana and sour cream in another bowl, mashing well.

Beat butter and sugars with mixer on medium high speed until pale and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, beating until incorporated. Add banana mixture in two additions, alternating with flour mixture.

Using a 1 inch cookie scoop, scoop out batter on to the baking sheets, spacing 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake until edges are golden, about 12 minutes.

Slide parchment with cookies onto wire racks. Cool completely before frosting.

To Make Cream Cheese Frosting:

Beat cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla until smooth. Pipe or spoon 1 tablespoon of frosting onto the flat sides of half the cookies. Sandwich with remaining cookies. If desired, dust with confectioners’ sugar before serving.

Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

Source adapted from: Good Things Catered

No comments: