Friday, July 16, 2010

Banana Pudding

Print

IMG_3886

This is a very special recipe from my Granny…she knows how to make a mean banana pudding! I have been craving this pudding for many weeks, perhaps because I was looking for a little taste of home. My Papa loved banana pudding. He had many diet restrictions due to his health, but banana pudding was one of his favorite desserts. My Granny would make for him using splenda in place of sugar so that he could enjoy something sweet. I can’t help but think of him when I make it. This is also one of the first desserts I made after we moved to New York for a party with some friends. Turns out no one knew what banana pudding was. I get that my family is Southern, but seriously…it’s banana pudding? This is the perfect summer treat to help take the heat out of the day and one of my childhood favorites.

On another note…I had a birthday this week! I thought about making my own birthday cake, but for now I’ve decided to wait until the end of the month so we can celebrate the other 2 July birthdays in the fam. Not to worry though, the husband made sure I got some sweet treats in the form of red velvet and tiramisu cheesecake!

Banana Pudding

Printer Friendly Version

1 1/4 cup sugar

3 tablespoons flour

3 eggs, lightly beaten

3 cups milk

2 teaspoons vanilla

4 to 5 ripe bananas, sliced

1 box vanilla wafers

Combine sugar, flour, and eggs in a medium saucepan. Add in milk and stir to combine. Cook mixture on medium heat, stirring constantly until thick, but not as thick as pudding.

Once mixture is thick, remove from heat and add vanilla, stirring to combine.

Using a 2 1/2 quart dish, place a single layer of vanilla wafers in the bottom of dish. Place a layer of bananas over wafers, followed by another layer of wafers. Place half of pudding mixture over wafers. Continue with another layer of wafers, bananas, pudding, and top with wafers.

Chill for at least 4 hours. Serve cold.

1 comment:

Rachel (Diary of a Recovering Chocoholic) said...

I love banana pudding! I'm your newest follower!