Thursday, July 8, 2010

Watermelon – Strawberry Slushy

Print

IMG_3858

This past weekend was a very relaxing one for me and my husband. We decided to pick up a watermelon at the grocery store to munch on throughout the week. I am always amazed by how much watermelon my dear hubby can eat in one sitting! After cutting up half of the watermelon and taking a sample, I discovered that we had purchased an over-ripe watermelon. For those that don’t quite know, over-ripe watermelons have a mealy/grainy texture. While the flavor is still really sweet, I can’t handle the texture. I probably should have taken the watermelon back, but since I had already cut half of it up I did a little research and found a refreshingly sweet slushy! The temperatures in New York are quite warm for this area. I am starting to feel like I’m back at home for a summer in Oklahoma!! Needless to say, this slushy really hit the spot, providing us with an icy cold, refreshing beverage.  If case you have some leftover watermelon from the weekend, try this drink…you won’t be sorry!!

Watermelon – Strawberry Slushy

Printer Friendly Version

1 cup fresh strawberries, hulled

1 1/2 cups watermelon, cubed and seeded

3 tablespoons honey (use sugar as a substitute if needed)

3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (use lemon if needed)

1 cup ice cubes

Place all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. Serve immediately.

Source adapted from: www.nytimes.com

No comments: