Friday, July 2, 2010

Coffee Heath Bar Crunch

Print

IMG_3799

Happy 4th of July!! I am very excited for a three day weekend, things have been super stressful lately. This weekends activities will consist of lots of grilling. Lots of hamburgers, hot dogs, and homemade pies...but for me it is also about the homemade ice cream. My parents have been making homemade ice cream for years. For the longest time, my dad used the old crank style ice cream machine...that is dedication!! I can remember the first summer we moved to New York I had one (of many) meltdowns, this one was over homemade ice cream. In Oklahoma, rock salt is a year-round item that you can find in any grocery store...in New York rock salt is a seasonal item that is only available during the winter months, specifically for snow. This is where the meltdown comes in. I called my mom in tears, I threatened my husband that I was packing up and moving back home, I hated this new place - I wanted the comfort of homemade ice cream. Fast forward to four years later, I made adjustments, I'm at peace with not having rock salt, and we have homemade ice cream once again! This is by far my favorite homemade ice cream flavor. The name describes everything about the ice cream: Coffee...heath bar...pure crunchy goodness! It is creamy and down right delicious!

I hope you each of a happy and safe 4th of July weekend!

Coffee Heath Bar Crunch

Printer Friendly Version

1 package of individually wrapped mini Heath Bars (or 6 to 8 Heath Bars)

1 1/2 cups sugar

4 large eggs

4 cups heavy or whipping cream

2 cups milk

6 tablespoons instant espresso

Using a sharp knife, cut the candy bars into 1/2 to 1 inch chunks. You should have about 2 cups. Place in a bowl, cover and freeze.

Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Add the cream, milk, and 4 tablespoons of espresso powder and whisk just until blended.

Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer’s instructions.

After the ice cream stiffens (about 2 minutes before it is done), add the candy and the remaining 2 tablespoons espresso powder, then continue freezing until the ice cream is ready.

Yields a generous 2 quarts.

Source adapted from: Ben and Jerry’s Homemade Ice Cream and Dessert Book

No comments: