Friday, January 15, 2010

Banana Bread Sandwiches

Print
IMG_2318

The first time I tried this sandwich was for my sister-in-law, Beth's wedding shower that my mother-in-law and I threw for her. They were really good and I knew they would make a good finger food to bring for my office's "Food day" at work. I'm not quite sure what classification this sandwich falls into. For some, it is sweet enough to be a dessert. I tend to lean more toward a finger food good for breakfast or a quick snack. Banana bread is one of my favorite breads and I would have never thought to pair it with coconut or pineapple, but the combination is delicious together.

Banana Bread Sandwiches

Printer Friendly Version

2 cups all purpose flour

1 cup sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

3/4 cup vegetable oil

3 large eggs

2 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 6 medium)

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking pan with nonstick baking spray with flour.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg.

In a medium bowl, combine oil, eggs, bananas, and vanilla. Add to flour mixture, beating at low speed with an electric mixer until combined.

Pour into prepared pan and bake for 23 to 27 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 30 minutes. Remove from pan, and cool completely on a wire rack.

Cut cake into 3 x 1 inch slices. Cut each slice in half crosswise. Spread Pineapple-Coconut Filling (recipe below) evenly over bottom halves of banana bread. Cover with top halves of bread.

Pineapple-Coconut Filling

1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened

1/2 cup pineapple preserves

1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut

1/4 cup finely chopped pecans

In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and preserves at medium speed with an electric mixer until combined. Stir
in coconut and pecans. Cover, and chill.

Source: Cooking with Paula Deen magazine, May/June 2009

1 comment:

Britt's Baby Bump said...

This looks so good! I can't wait to try it.