Monday, January 18, 2010

Brazilian Shrimp Soup

Print
IMG_2443

Sometimes you run into recipes that are so simple, yet so good they make you want to cry...and this is one of them! I don't know why I hadn't tried this sooner, but I am so glad we have met because I will be making it again and again. This dish was a cross between almost a jambalaya and a stew. I will admit that I moved on to other things while the soup was simmering and I lost some of the juices, which would have made it more soupy, but it was still so good. It had hints of spice with the red pepper flakes and sweetness from the coconut milk. I'm also a sucker for anything with cilantro added to it so I was super happy to have it with my shrimp. This dish even made my husband's top 5 list of dishes he loves the most...it is definitely a keeper! For those that might not love shrimp, substitute boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into strips instead.

Brazilian Shrimp Soup

Printer Friendly Version

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 yellow onion, chopped

1 red bell pepper, chopped

3 cloves garlic, minced

3/4 cup long grain rice

1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

1 3/4 teaspoon salt

1 3/4 cups canned crushed tomatoes

5 cups water

1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk

1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and cut in half horizontally

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice

1/2 cup cilantro, chopped

Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 7 minutes.

Add rice, red pepper flakes, salt, tomatoes, and water to the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for 10 minutes or until the rice is almost tender. Stir in the coconut milk. Return to a simmer, then stir in the shrimp. Simmer just until the shrimp are cooked through, about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the pepper, lemon juice, and cilantro.

Serve immediately.

Source: Annie’s Eats, originally from Food and Wine

No comments: