Monday, April 26, 2010

Barbecue Spice Rub

Print

IMG_3115

For those of you who might of wondered where I disappeared to last week…I’m back. I didn’t go anywhere or do anything last week, but that was exactly what I needed. I have hit a wall lately, lacking motivation with my MBA classes and stretching myself too thin with the many, many tasks that keep building up. So after some deep breaths, I am back and have some great recipes to share with you. A few weeks ago I helped cater an event for my in-laws, who had about 30 members of  the Women's basketball team over for dinner. We were celebrating their conference victory, NCAA-Division II! The menu was as follows:

Main Dish and Sides:

Barbecue Pulled Pork and Pulled Chicken Sandwiches

Homemade Barbecue Sauce

Barbecue Baked Beans

Coleslaw

Potato Salad

Desserts:

Sugar Cookie Bars

Banana Split Brownie Pizza

This week I thought I would share with everyone my favorite spice rub, my favorite BBQ sauce, and my method for making perfect pulled pork sandwiches. Today is all about the spice rub. Everyone has their reasons for liking a certain spice or sauce. It is hard to pinpoint why this particular rub works so well, but sometimes it just does. Although it may look like a lot of ingredients, most are pantry staples that you already have on hand. The great thing about this recipe is it makes a lot, so I always have some on hand.The rub works great with pork, chicken, or even fish.

Barbecue Spice Rub

Printer Friendly Version

1 cup dark brown sugar

1/2 cup paprika

2  tablespoons freshly ground black pepper

2 tablespoons kosher salt

2 tablespoon chili powder

2 tablespoons garlic powder

2 tablespoons onion powder

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients, making sure to work out any lumps. Store in an airtight container.

To Use: Place a small amount of mustard on the meat, creating a thin layer. You want the mustard to act as the glue for your spice rub. Sprinkle on the spice rub all over meat and rub, making sure to massage the rub into the meat.

Source adapted from: www.bbq.about.com

No comments: