Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Cheddar Beer Soup

Print
IMG_1647
Cheddar soup is not a soup that I regularly make, but with the rainy, cold weather we have been having lately it sounded wonderful. This is actually only the second time I’ve had Cheddar Soup and the first time I have made it. Several years ago when I was dating my husband, his wonderful and talented  sister Melinda (check out her blog) invited us over for dinner and made a similar soup for us. (Melinda I don’t even know if you remember this!)  I remembered liking the soup, but I couldn’t recall how it tasted. The cheddar mixed with the beer creates a great combination of flavor. It’s very rich and filling, perfect for a cold Fall day.

Cheddar Beer Soup

Printer Friendly Version

4 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 red bell pepper, chopped

1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped

1/2 cup celery, chopped

1 tablespoon minced garlic

1/2 cup all purpose flour

2 cups chicken broth

1 (12 oz) bottle dark beer (I used Sam Adam’s Octoberfest)

1 cup whole milk ( I used 2%)

1 tablespoon paprika

1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper

1/4 teaspoon dry mustard

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese

In a large Dutch over, melt butter over medium heat. Add bell pepper, onion, celery, and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, or until onion is soft. Add flour to the vegetable mixture and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in broth, beer, and milk, whisking to break up any lumps. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, whisking frequently.

Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes or until soup begins to thicken. Add paprika, red pepper, mustard, and Worcestershire, stirring until combined. Add cheddar cheese, stirring until cheese is melted.

Serve immediately.


Source adapted from: Cooking with Paula Deen, November/December 2008

1 comment:

Melinda said...

I completely forgot about that!

Next time you make this, serve it in a bread bowl...mmmmmmm