Wednesday, October 7, 2009

My First Nutella Experience

Print
IMG_1245
Ah Nutella, the delicious Italian Chocolate-Hazelnut spread.  I can’t believe it has taken me this long to purchase Nutella at the grocery store! I think I was putting it off because I wasn’t sure where to find it (usually with the peanut butter and jellies). When I was looking for something to make over the weekend, I wanted something quick and easy and due to my laziness, I didn’t want to bake anything in the oven. This dessert delivered in taste and in convenience. Now that Nutella has my approval, you will be seeing more recipes with this tasty spread in the future!

Triple Chocolate Scotcheroos

Printer Friendly Version

1 cup sugar

1 cup light corn syrup

1/2 cup peanut butter

1/2 cup Nutella, or a similar chocolate-hazelnut paste

6 cups crisp chocolate-flavored rice cereal

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1 cup butterscotch-flavored chips

Butter or spray a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.

In a large saucepan (at least 6 quarts) over medium heat, bring the sugar and rice or corn syrup to a full boil. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and Nutella, then mix the rice cereal in until completely coated. Press the mixture into the greased pan, making sure the top is smooth.

Melt the chocolate and butterscotch chips together in a clean, dry bowl set over a double boiler or microwave, stirring gently until smooth and well-blended. Spread over the rice cereal mixture, sprinkle lightly with salt (if using) and cool until set.

Serving: Once cool, cut into small bars with a sharp knife. These are pretty intense and certainly on the sweet side, so bite-sized portions are in order. Strong cups of espresso are nice to balance them out.


Source Adapted From: Dinner and Dessert, originally from David Lebovitz

2 comments:

Mandy said...

mmm.... Nutella!!! I LOVE Nutella! I love making a half of a peanut butter and nutella sandwich when I'm looking for something sweet really quickly!

Kristina said...

Oh man, I hope Greg doesn't see this! He absolutely loves Nutella and he may WALK to New York to get one of these!