Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Shrimp Burgers

Print
IMG_1547

I've had my eye on this recipe ever since I got the magazine from Southern Living back in May. I am always looking for quick meals in the evening and different burgers and sandwiches seem to be some of the easiest to throw together. Everything in the recipe can be made in advance from the sauce to the shrimp patties. The flavors in the tarter sauce worked really well with the shrimp and created a really nice, subtle flavor. With each bite you get a good bit of shrimp. I enjoyed this so much I even went back for seconds…something I rarely do! I was a little worried about cooking these outside on the grill so I decided to use our grill pan and I think it was the better choice. The shrimp patties are very delicate and I was afraid it could fall apart on the outdoor grill. If you love shrimp, try it in a burger, it’s great!!

Shrimp Burgers with a Sweet ‘n’ Spicy Tarter Sauce

Printer Friendly Version


For the Burgers:

1 1/4  pounds  unpeeled, medium-size raw shrimp

Vegetable cooking spray

1  large egg, lightly beaten

1  tablespoon  mayonnaise

2  teaspoons  lemon juice

1/2  teaspoon  salt

1/8  teaspoon  ground red pepper

3  tablespoons  finely chopped celery

2  tablespoons  chopped green onion

1  tablespoon  chopped fresh parsley

1 1/4  cups  crushed cornbread crackers (I couldn’t find these, so
I used Oyster crackers)

4  Kaiser rolls with poppy seeds, split (I used Hamburger buns)

Lettuce

Peel and devein shrimp. Cut each shrimp into thirds.

Stir together egg, mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt, and ground red pepper until blended; stir in celery, green onion, and parsley. Fold in shrimp and cracker crumbs. Shape into 4 to 5 patties. Place patties on a sheet pan, coated with non-stick spray. Cover and chill 1 to 24 hours. Transfer to freezer for 30 minutes before placing on grill.

Coat grill or grill pan with cooking spray and preheat grill to medium high heat. Grill burgers 4 to 5 minutes or until burgers lift easily off grill grate with spatula. Turn burgers and grill for another 4 to 5 minutes or until shrimp are pink and burgers are cooked through and lightly crisp.

Grill or toast buns until lightly toasted. Serve burgers on buns with Sweet ‘n’ Spicy Tartar Sauce and lettuce.


For the Sweet ‘n’ Spicy Tarter Sauce:
1  cup  mayonnaise

2  tablespoons  chopped fresh parsley

2  tablespoons  horseradish

1 1/2  teaspoons  Cajun seasoning

1 1/2  teaspoons  lemon juice

1/4  teaspoon  paprika

Stir together all ingredients in a bowl. Cover and chill 30 minutes to 24 hours.


Source: Southern Living Magazine, May 2009

1 comment:

Kristina said...

Oh my gosh, this looks so amazing! Keep the shrimp recipes coming!