Monday, October 19, 2009

Pumpkin Muffins

Print
IMG_1551

So a week ago Saturday I completed the first course for my MBA program. We ended our five week course with a 30 minute presentation from each member of the class. I absolutely hate speaking in front of people and will do everything  possible to get out of it. I knew baking muffins wouldn’t get me out of speaking, but I figured if I stuffed everyone full of muffins while I was presenting, there wouldn’t be as much pressure! I’m happy to report that I made it through the presentation, got an A, and the muffins were a hit. I have been waiting for Fall to arrive in order to try out this recipe. The muffins are full of pumpkin flavor and I loved the streusel topping.  This definitely put me in a Fall kind of mood!

IMG_1559

Pumpkin Muffins with Streusel Topping

Printer Friendly Version

For the Streusel Topping:
1 cup all purpose flour

1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed

1/3 cup granulated sugar

1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Pinch of salt

Combine ingredients in a bowl of an electric mixer, using a paddle attachment. Mix until pea-size bits of streusel form. Set aside.


To make the Pumpkin Muffins:
Grease the tops of two 12 mold muffin pans and line them with paper liners. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

3 cups sugar

3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil

3 extra- large eggs (I just used 3 large eggs)

1 (15 oz) can of plain pumpkin puree

3 1/4 cups all purpose flour

2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

2 teaspoons salt

2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

2 teaspoons ground nutmeg

1 cup chopped walnuts

In a large bowl, mix to combine the sugar, oil, eggs, and pumpkin puree.

In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix to combine. Once combined, stir in the walnuts.

Scoop the batter into the prepared molds, filling each to the top of the paper liner. Sprinkle approximately 2 tablespoons of streusel over the top of each muffin. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cake tested inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 5 to 10 minutes before removing the muffins from their pans.

Source adapted from: Little Cakes from the Whimsical Bakehouse by Liv and Kaye Hansen

1 comment:

Melinda said...

Congrats on your A!!