Sunday, September 6, 2009

A Little Cookies-n-Cream Filling

Print

IMG_1161

With all the baking for my cake decorating classes I have been able to try out some new cake recipes. This cake has been on the top of my “to do” list. By the time I got home from class I was so exhausted and I didn’t have good light for my picture, so I apologize for the poor visual, but don’t let that keep you from trying out this cake! If I hadn’t been traveling with the cake I could have made this recipe into 3 layers, but I was afraid that with the additions I would be adding to the top of the cake during class, the cake would not fit into my travel caddy. Not to worry, I made a trifle out of the leftover layer of cake and filling! This cake and filling could also be made into cupcakes and topped with your favorite chocolate icing!

Chocolate Butter Cake with a Cookies-n-Cream Filling

Printer Friendly Version

Grease and flour two 10 x 3 inch round pans. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, combine and whisk until there are no lumps:

1 cup hot coffee

1 cup cocoa powder

Add and whisk until smooth:

1 cup cold water

On a piece of wax paper, sift together:

3 cups cake flour

2 teaspoons baking soda

1/2 teaspoons baking powder

3/4 teaspoon salt

In a bowl of an electric mixer, beat at high speed until light and fluffy:

8 oz (2 sticks) unsalted butter

2 1/2 cups sugar

On medium speed, add slowly and cream well:

4 large eggs

1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Add the dry ingredients alternately to the butter and egg mixture with the cocoa, mixing until smooth.

Pour 3 cups of the batter into one 10 – inch pan and the remaining batter into the other 1o –in pan. Bake the less full pan for 20 to 25 minutes and the fuller pan for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool the cakes on a wire rack for 15 to 20 minutes before turning them out of their pans.

Cookies and Cream

In the bowl of an electric mixer at high speed, whip until stiff:

2 1/2 cups heavy cream

1 cup confectioners’ sugar

1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Gently fold in:

20 chocolate sandwich cookies, such as Oreos, crushed into medium pieces.

Source: The Whimsical Bakehouse: Fun-to-Make Cakes that Taste as Good as They Look! by Kaye and Liv Hansen

No comments: