Wednesday, September 16, 2009

My new go-to Sugar Cookies

Print
IMG_1174Since recently becoming so obsessed with food blogs I have discovered a new favorite recipe book from Dorie Greenspan titled, Baking From My Home to Yours. I wish I could say I owned the book myself, but sadly I don’t. I picked a copy up from our public library after following all my follow bloggers post about Tuesday’s with Dorie. I wish I had the time to participate, but until then I have a few recipes that I myself have tried and loved! I made these sugar cookies for my sister-in-law’s shower. Not only do they look cute (if I do say so myself!) they are super soft and with the addition of royal icing you have the best combination for both look and taste!



All – Occasions Sugar Cookies
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 stick, plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Whisk the flour, salt, and baking powder together.
In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer, beat butter at medium speed for a minute or so, until smooth. Beat in sugar and continue to beat for about 2 minute, until mixture is light and pale. Add the egg and egg yolk and beat for another minute or two; beat in the vanilla. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour mixture, mixing until just incorporated.
Divide the dough in half, shape into a disk shape and wrap in plastic. Chill for at least two hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes. The cookies should feel firm, but they should not color much, if at all. Let cookies rest for 1 minute before carefully lifting onto a cooling rack.
Store at room temperature for up to 1 week.

Source: Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan

1 comment:

Kristina said...

you are a goddess, Kim! everything looks so yummy!